Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A busy few weeks( a very late Roubo Part 2)

Gluing the back slab.
I was able to get the two top slabs glued up.  I decided to give myself a break, and picked up some Titebond II Extend.  That was a huge help, and allowed me to get both slabs glued up with very little touch-up needed afterwards.  Surprisingly I didn't use ALL of my clamps (some were too small).

The following week I started a 2 week long class/test at work, which consumed almost all my time, and all my energy.  I was able to take a short break, and cut some dovetails, make a sticking board and stick some moldings.  All in preparation for a demonstration at the hand tool splinter group meeting.



Second load of pear
"Floating" wine rack
I was also given a free pear tree, as long as I cut it up and hauled it home....2 carloads later....looks like I have a couple dozen bowls to practice on. I also had to make a wedding gift.  I decided on a wine rack similar to one I made for us a few months ago.

After the class I was finally ready to get back at working on the bench.  I had flattened one side to send it through the thickness planer, but after all the reclaimed oak, and surfacing the boards for glue up I decided to change the blades.  Turns out the last time I switched blades I tightened the bolts a little too much, and rounded 8 of them trying to get them out.  Luckily I had a screw extractor that worked for 7 of them, and then broke getting the last one out.  Now a week later I have replacement bolts, the blades are new and sharp, and its time to get back to work.

One hour later, and the slabs are nice and parallel and exactly 4 in thick.
I think the title should more correctly read a busy few months, as I am just now posting this, and part 3 is done and 4 is close.

No comments:

Post a Comment