Saturday, March 8, 2014

Busy Month


Its been over a month since I last posted, and I got out in the shop some.  I made a table for my friend's new house.  After building my hall table a few years ago I realized that (rectangular) tables are pretty simple structures.  A top, an apron, and legs, 8 mortise and tenon joints, and a way to attach the top, typically using screws to allow for some movement.  To make this table a little more interesting I decided to splay the legs at 5 degrees.  While this isn't a lot, it does change the some construction details, and was a good exercise in thinking outside of square.  Since this was built using reclaimed wood, I also decided to start with rough concept in my head, but let the wood dictate the design and dimensions as it is built.  This build went pretty fast so I once again didn't take many pictures.
Dry fit with some scraps for the top and shelf.
The table was requested to be a medium brown, and glossy, so I used the same finish I used on the bookshelves, WB dye, shellac, a glaze, then topcoats of shellac, and a coat of wax. 
After the dye and stain, ready for shellac.
Finished and ready for delivery

Quartersawn top

Overall this build when smoothly, and it was fun to design it as I built it.  I also broke into some of pear I acquired when my friend took down a tree.  I used some of the thinner pieces to make an 11-grooved box a la Roy Underhill.  This is a fun little box that is primarily made with a plow plane, in my case a rebranded Stanley 45.  it went surprisingly smooth although it is very easy to blowout when cutting the grooves for the splines, so I will probably use a backing board in the future.  The pear has some really nice figure, which was a good trial of my high angle blades for my low angle jack.  I was really pleased with the results until I put a coat of shellac on, and then the "end grain" really stands out as it disrupts the reflection.  I guess I'll have to sand next time.
11 Groove box out of Pear
The next projects will be a bit of a departure.  One is a still a Stickley piece, #800 Sideboard however it will have drawers and will be out of cherry.  The other two are a Shaker rocking chair and foot rest (cherry or maple), and a crib/bed (cherry).  The rocking chair requires me to make a bed extension and steady rest for my lathe, and also some steam bending.  The crib involves lots of slats, and some nice curves on the top rails, as well as some hopefully inventive, strong, and knockdown hardware solutions.  Hopefully I can get them done in 7 months, and remember to take some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment